Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pop Shop (Episode 4)

Is that the date already? Wow, sorry guys! I know I should have posted last week, but things have been a little hectic on the work front. None-the-less, I am here and ready to rock out with my... Oh, you know what I mean!

Our first song of the day might be 20 years old, but it’s more relevant in this day and age than ever before. It comes from a little band called The The. Most people outside of the UK and the US don’t really know them, but that’s a pity cause’ they are one hellava band! So without further ado, it’s my absolute pleasure to introduce Matt Johnson and the boys with “The Beat(en) Generation”.



The The has been around in one form or another since 1977. There album releases have been sporadic at best, but admittedly have always been highly anticipated by their rabid fan base (and yea that includes me). A new album was announced in 2007, but to date this new album remains unreleased.

I actually don’t even know where to start with our next band! Their first album “Piper at the Gates of Dawn” became an instant classic in 1967 with its psychedelic themes and spaced rock sound. They have recorded some of the most influential rock albums of our time and they are known to the world as Pink Floyd. Now sit down, relax and enjoy “Wish You Were Here”.



Originally called “The Tea Set”, Pink Floyd took their name from two Piedmont blues (also known as Piedmont Finger Style or East Coast Blues) musicians, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. Pink Floyd have released 14 studio albums:
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967), A Saucerful of Secrets (1968), Soundtrack from the Film More (1969), Ummagumma (1969), Atom Heart Mother (1970), Meddle (1971), Obscured by Clouds (1972), The Dark Side of the Moon (1973), Wish You Were Here (1975), Animals (1977), The Wall (1979), The Final Cut (1983), A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) and The Division Bell (1994).

The next tune we have for you takes me back to my school days in the 80’s (yup I’m that old). They are a band that reminds me of my ex wife (and not in a bad way) and they are called OMD or Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark...



OMD was made up of Andy McClusky and Paul Humphreys and their debut performance was at Eric’s Club (a legendary music joint) in Liverpool. Their first single, called Electricity, was released by the now famous (or is that infamous) Indi record label Factory Records. The same label that gave the world Joy Division and a host of other top bands. If you ever fancy a good night in (and want to know more about Factory records and the Liverpool party scene) then watch the movie 24 Hour Party People. It’s available at Take2 at an excellent price.

Normally I’d be playing out with a last song right about now, but due to the fact I never posted last week I thought I should give you all a little treat as a thank you. You’ve been patient with me, so it’s only fair that I first spoil you with a little Led Zeppelin. So from me to you, here’s the “Immigrant Song”...



Man those guys were one of a kind!

Ok then, I could have waxed lyrical about Led Zepp for hours, but time is a ticking and I NEED to show you guys something before I go. It’s a band called Apocalyptica and they are the world’s fist heavy metal band that has no guitars, no drums and no vocals... They do however have 4 cellists! Don’t believe it could be good? Then prepare to be amazed!



That’s all for this week my people! Have a good one and catch you next episode. Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment