Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pop Shop (episode 2)

Well then, it seems like I’ve (if you excuse the pun) struck a chord with some of you guys out there! Thanks for the emails with advice, requests and a comment or two (although not on the actual blog *sigh*). I’m pleased my first “episode” was appreciated by you all.

Ok, let’s get right into the swing of things with one of the most talented lyricists that ever strutted (and I mean strutted) the stage... Mr Nick Cave! The man is a legend and the words of this next song get me every time.



Since 1994 the band has offered the world 14 studio albums and a glimpse into an eclectic mix of hybrid blues, gospel, rock and a dash of post-punk. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds latest album is called Dig Lazarus, Dig and you can find it in most good music stores (read as not in Musica). “Into My Arms” is one of my all time favourite Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds tracks and was played at the Funeral of Michael Hutchence (he of INXS fame).

Ok then, lets up the tempo a little with another blast from the past. How about a song from a great little band called Talking Heads. I dedicate this one two my two beautiful little girls... And She Was!



The Talking Heads are one of those bands I mentioned in the previous “episode” that manages to transport you off to memories long gone. They also used to play as an opening act to the next band I’m going to play for you. A band that helped to kick-start the punk scene and in fact arguably started it. The Ramones!



Formed in Queens, New York in 1974 the Ramones never achieved great commercial success, but the undeniable influence they had on the punk music scene in both the US and Great Briton can still be seen today.

I’m playing out with another slower track by one of the bands that influenced my music and literary taste. A band that I had the privilege to see in a small intimate concert right here in Cape Town, South Africa. A band called The Mission, and a band that gave us this beautiful song – Butterfly on a Wheel...



Catch you all later on in the week. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment