Monday, March 2, 2009

Pop Shop (episode 1)

It’s funny how certain songs will stay with you forever. You just need to hear the first few cords and... And you’re 20 years younger, sitting in The Playground (this great club that used to be in Cape Town) with this gorgeous Goth girl (trust me, go to suicidegirls.com to see what I mean) listening to Joy Division’s Love Will Tear Us Apart...



Joy Division will always be one of my favourites; it’s just a pity that Ian Curtis never got to see just how much of an influence he and the band had... R.I.P. dude, R.I.P. If you guys want to watch a really good movie about Joy Division then watch Closer. It’s available at Take 2 and is well worth the few bob it costs.

While I’m going old school on your arse I can’t do a post mentioning The Playground without sticking some Bauhaus into the equation. Bela Lugosi’s Dead is most probably one of Bauhaus’s most well known songs and was a firm favourite on the dance floor.



So we’ve done a few old school songs, but what about something new, something like... Something like this...



This song performed by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss is an absolutely wonderful song penned by Plant with the aid of his old Led Zeppelin cohort Jimmy Page. Even though this is a post Zeppelin collaboration you can still hear the echoes of the band that started it all.

That’s about all the time I have for today’s episode my people, so after two old school tracks and an instant classic from Plant and Krauss I’ll leave you with one of my favourites... Nouvelle Vague and an excellent cover version of a Billy Idol classic - Dancing with Myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment